So what goes into choosing the right Salwar Kameez or Wedding Dress? If you know your body type, 80% of your shopping experience is solved because the most often the shape of the body enhances the beauty of a garment and vice versa. However, the remaining 20% depends upon the style of the outfit. So, what exactly style defines as and what should you look for when developing your style in Indian or Pakistani wedding dresses, including Patiala salwar kameez, lehenga, and gowns?

Today we will discuss what encompasses a good style. There are five things you need to consider when developing a unique style for yourself or your clients and friends. This will help you in the long-run if you are an aspiring fashion designer or have your own tailoring institute.

Salwar Kameez uk
Buy Latest Salwar Kameez Online

So what are those five elements in styling?

They are Line, Scale, Texture, Color, and Proportion


Lines in clothing are categorized into two – inside lines and outside lines.

The outside line creates and enhances your body shape as if you were a silhouette. For instance, a low-hip lehenga skirt will define your hips and make it look curvier, while a pencil skirt creates a slim, long, thin and tall silhouette.

Inside lines are further classified into vertical (they define the length and height of the fabric), horizontal (adds the breadth and shortens the fabric), curves lines (soften the look of the fabric and add roundness), and diagonal lines (create a diversion for the onlookers).

pakistani salwar kameez
Buy Online Salwar Suits UK

And then, there’s hemline that helps you manipulate the fabric to make your hip and leg look wider or not.


The scale is the balance between length, breadth, and height of a person’s body, such as the features and shapes. The proportion will help you choose the right fabric in terms of weight, texture, and color. For instance, for a tall and large frame, the heavily textured, bold and big printed fabric will suit perfectly.


Proportion defines the physical statistics of a body, as in the 36-24-36 status. If you understand which part of your body is out of proportion and by how many points, then you will be able to find a balance of look with customized styles. In general, your height should be 8 times the height of your head, your waist should be 3/8 position down, knees 6/8, and your hips right in the middle (4/8).

salwar kameez online


Colors play a very important role in designing the perfect wedding salwar kameez or lehenga. Colors add glow and confidence, make you look and feel great, and accentuate your best features. Buy colors that’ll suit you well and not make you look over-the-boundary. For instance, people who are voluptuous shouldn’t invest in golden, silver, and shimmery colors. Since colors create illusions, use darker shades to make your frame appear thin and small and lighter shades to make it appear heavy and tall.


Just like colors, the texture of the fabric enhances your outside bodyline. The pattern and the weight of the fabric also matter when selecting an Indian dress. For instance, although silk is beautiful, it may make you appear heavy if not worn properly. On the other hand, if you are petite, you shouldn’t seek out highly textured fabrics or heavy dresses.